Friday, May 16, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 27)

Today's Scriptures are Romans 8:12-18. My relationship with God has always been deeply and profoundly shaped by the fact that my earthly father was absent from my life. At first, that meant that I carried a deep wound, but as time passed and I grew and I began to understand my Heavenly Father, then I learned a great truth. The truth was this, I am God's child. I am not a mere product of an act of lust between two consenting adults. I am not an abandoned little boy...I am a son of God.

That is a wonderful, happy truth that began to help me navigate life on a course that led me to not having to worry about trying to win the approval of men...because like Paul said that is a fruitless exercise that only takes you away from serving Christ (Galatians 1:10).

But something else has happened in my journey. I have now reconnected with my earthly father. And I am learning to love him too. All that I used to consider that he gave me was the gift of how NOT to be a father to my two sons. But now I am learning more in life. I am learning a little bit about being the son of someone and how that matters. God is teaching me so many things in my life...and I love it.

Sonship...being called a son, is a big deal. Not that being a daughter is unimportant...but there is something dynamically special about being a son. And I am learning it now as an adult. It is a good schooling I am going through.

As I learn to be a son again, in a new and fresh way, I get to learn even more about my wonderful, loving Heavenly Father who never left me or abandoned me. He was always Present in my life. The safety of that closeness is what has sustained me...even in my most shameful and dark times.

As my earthly father desires to know me...I am reminded of my Heavenly Father's desire for me to know Him. Wow! He just blows me away each and every day!

"Thank you, Abba, Father for never leaving me alone. For always caring for me. For never giving up on me. I love you and I want to know you more. In Your Son's Name."

No comments: