Thursday, May 29, 2008

Getting the Wrong Message

I finished my sermon this morning in the diner at HyVee on the southside of Des Moines. Sometimes it helps me to do that being out of the office. I really enjoy this series I am in and have come to the conclusion that I like preaching from the Old Testament more than I do the New Testament.

That's weird for me because three years ago, I definitely wouldn't have said that. But there is something magnificent and genuine about the roughness of the stories in the Old Testament.

Last week having preached on The Mistress, my son told me something funny. I guess that morning, Matt (their youth pastor) was challenging the youth to take a stand when they are exposed to inappropriate messages. If they are in a movie that is raunchy, then Matt challenged them to just walk out. If they are watching a TV show that is bad, then turn it off.

Well, my son said that the content of my sermon was "R" rated and he and the youth probably should have walked out. I told them I didn't think that was what Matt was getting at...but hey, at least they are listening!

No comments: