Tuesday, May 6, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 16)

Today's Scriptures are John 11:17; John 11:32-36. From pretty early on in my understanding of the Bible, I fell in love with John 11:35 because it is one of the shortest verses in the Bible and whenever there was any kind of a verse memorization contest as a child, this was my standard go-to verse. Jesus Wept. It's easy to memorize.

But it isn't so easy to remember. He wept when he saw the grief his friends experienced. He was shaken and hurting because of their struggles. That blows me away. If he did that for them, he does that for me. But I don't remember that. And instead of letting that knowledge minister to me, I will find comfort in other things.

Sometimes I will medicate my grief or struggles in unhealthy ways...because I forgot that two-word verse that I memorized as a child. Jesus wept. And if he wept for them, He will weep for me. My pain is in His heart. I am not alone in my trials. Wow! That's a pretty amazing concept if you let your brain soak on that one for a while.

The other side of that coin is that we are called to be Jesus to other people...to love people like Jesus does. And part of that experience is to weep with our friends through their pain and struggles.

In our machismo-driven, male-ego culture...this isn't going to come very easily for many. We need to be strong and tough. But sometimes you need to weep.

I never really understood crying. Why do it? What good does it accomplish? It always seemed like a very silly thing to me. But I understand a little more now that I am older. Crying is good. It is actually quite good for you medically. The benefits are that there is a great release within you. And emotionally a person feels like something has been lifted after a good cry. It really is good for a person. I get that. But it is still a little hard for me.

But there are times when it isn't. When I am watching TV with my family or some soft spot in a movie. Even when I see the pain in people I don't know, I can cry rather easily. BUT, when it comes to those I do know. I hold back. I don't know what that is.

But I need to learn the discipline of being able to understand people better emotionally. I need to empathize with others in their pain and struggles.

"Heavenly Father, help me to be weaker. Help me to not be so emotionally guarded. Help me to really feel the pain of others in my life. Help me to care enough to really, sincerely want to help change things for others when they are enduring trials. Help me weep, Lord."

No comments: