Saturday, May 3, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 13)

Today's Scriptures are 1 Corinthians 1:3-11; 1 Peter 1:3-9; 2 Timothy 4:1-8. The common theme I see running through these verses is that we need to be faithful to our commitment to Christ because soon we will be with Him forever.

People don't like to be told what to do. In fact, people don't like the truth by nature. They would rather be told simply things that will make them feel good. My calling, as Paul clarifies to Timothy, is to preach to truth. It is to do what God has called me to do.

God has called me to help people change their lives. To help people come to real transformation. It is a messy business, but that is the call nonetheless. And it isn't popular. People don't like to change. They like recliner Christianity. But God is not only taking charge of the remote, He is kicking us out of the recliner.

My role is to do what He asks of me without question. I need to be faithful in my own commitment to Christ, but also I need to be faithful in my calling as a pastor. God wants me to call for life amendment. Life change.

What I know is that this kind of change doesn't come through maintaining a set of systems or rules...it can only come about by falling madly in love. People need to learn to fall in love with Jesus. When that happens their lives will change. I need to preach and teach in a way that helps people to fall in love with their Savior.

"Lord, give me the strength to do what you have asked of me. Keep me on the path. Help me to keep my head in all situations. Help me Lord, to be faithful to my calling. In Jesus' Name."

No comments: