Thursday, April 24, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 4)

Today's Scriptures are Mark 10:46-52. I think my blindness is more pervasive at times than physical blindness. The problem with my blindness is that I like it. I don’t move myself to the roadside where Jesus might come by. I like to stay comfortable, in the darkness, abiding time in a recliner in a cave. But I need to begin to learn to position myself closer to Jesus.

I need to move beyond the darkness of the cave of my comfortable habits that keep me in darkness. I need to place myself along the roadside of accountability and friendship. I need to call out to Christ daily. I do that by opening the Word. As I do that, He passes near. What would I say if Jesus asked me the question, "What do you want me to do for you?"

That is a penetrating question. I want to see. But what would I see if Jesus really opened my eyes? (That thought is pretty scary to me as well.) I feel like Neo in the Matrix at times. Very comfortable with blindness...but the thing that is really real is that which is beyond my physical sight.

I want to see that reality at least once. I hope God will grant that for me before I die. I want to know how real the spiritual forces are that are all around me.

I guess I would ask Jesus to help me keep my eyes open. Maybe he works more like an opthamologist or optometrist...where he helps us find the right glasses. However it works, I would ask him to help me see. And in my 20/20 vision I might see how much damage my words can do to my two wonderful sons if I don't watch what I say. I might see how much heartache I can bring my wife when I work hard to preserve my selfishness. I might see a lot of things that would make me uncomfortable...but that would be a good thing.

"Lord, Jesus, help me...a poor, blind beggar. I cannot see unless you help me to. Give me vision. Lift the scales from my eyes. In Your Name."

No comments: