Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 3)

Today's Scriptures are Luke 24:1-33. This is the account of the resurrection of Christ and the two who were on the road to Emmaus and then Jesus covertly appeared to them without their knowing it was him. The coolest part for me is when Jesus begins to teach them the Scriptures in verse 27...it says that he began with Moses and all the prophets and taught them what the Scriptures say about Himself.

Can you imagine what that would be like to have a Bible Study with Jesus? I wonder if Jesus knew how to parse verbs and participles in Greek? I wonder if He pointed out what the "original words" meant as He taught?

Or I wonder if He simply taught from His heart on how God's Word was fulfilled and what that meant for them that day. I don't think Jesus got overly complicated, to be honest, but I don't know that for sure. It's just a hunch.

He was kind of like that when He taught. What's the greatest command? Love God. Oh yeah, love people too.

That's it. Not real tough stuff. No foraging through the woods of the original language. Just simple stuff for real people.

And the best part is how that simple teaching impacted people. For the two on the road to Emmaus it says that their hearts burned within them while Jesus opened the Scriptures to them. That's what I want. I want my heart to burn within me when I am in His Word. Because Jesus is there opening up His Word to me when I read it and spend time in it. He is sharing insights with me. And I desire to have that burning within (and I ain't talking about heartburn).

"Jesus, help me to know you more. Help me to fall in love with your Words. Teach me. Reveal to me the gems that Scripture contains. Help me to have a burning passion for knowing you through your Word. In your name."

No comments: