Friday, April 25, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 5)

Today's Scriptures are Isaiah 55:6-12.

In having recent conversations with my natural father (he called me last night again) I have been struggling with what parts of my faith do I let come through? He knows I am a pastor. But we haven't really broached to topic of faith yet. He has cussed a couple of times while we've talked...not a big deal to me because he's not a Christian and that's what non-Christians do (they cuss...I think they take classes in it or something). So I'm not bothered by that.

But being that our relationship is really just beginning, I want to start it out on the right foot and not have it be awkward or odd that I would talk about the Bible and my faith with him.

But then, you think, What kind of Bible passage would be appropriate? I don't know. I just don't want the weirdness that I currently feel when we are near the subject to pervade the rest of the relationship.

Funny thing in that passage that I read today. God said that His word will never return to Him empty. Obviously His Word is a lot more obedient than His children because we would more often than not show back empty-handed. And then we would act surprised at God's disappointment.

But His Word always is able to accomplish something. That is helpful to me. Some time ago I began to change the way I thought about my sermons. Not every sermon I preach is a home run (believe it or not). But I have taken comfort in knowing that as long as I am sticking with Scripture, every sermon (no matter how well structured or delivered) does some good.

It's like breakfast. Sometimes it is bland. Just a bowl of bran flakes and cold milk. Sometimes it is amazing. It is a buffet of replenishing eggs and bacon and sausage and biscuits. Definitely the two breakfasts are in different leagues, but the accomplish the same purpose. They nourish your body.

We might not get overly amazed every time we read out of God's Word. We may even share a verse and it seems that it made little or not impact at all...but God promises that it always does what He intends. It nourishes. It fills up empty souls. It refuels the weary.

God's Word is so incredibly valuable. I want to move beyond my fears about talking about it with my father and just bring it up in our conversation with how God's Word helps me each day. I am going to trust that God will do the rest.

"Heavenly Father, I need your help and wisdom. I need you to enable me to speak boldly without fear of the effect upon the new relationship that you orchestrated. Give me tact and clarity. Give me the right opportunity. Season my weak words with Yours. I pray for my earthly father, Lord. Help me to learn to love him. Help me to see him as your lost child. In Jesus' Name."

No comments: