Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Okay, here's what God has been doing in my life...

As you know, I went to Oklahoma City for the MinistryTECH Conference. Well, that's what I thought I was going to Oklahoma for...but God had a whole other reason for me. I referenced Here that when I was visited Life Church that Craig Groeschel's message affected me greatly. Here's what I was talking about...

About two weeks ago, my aunt in California had contacted me via e-mail to tell me she had been in contact with my natural father. My natural father left my home when I was 18 months old. He has never called, he has never written, he has never attempted any contact.

She let me know what his phone number was and encouraged me to contact him. I printed out that e-mail and took it home to show my wife. She asked me what I thought about it all. I told her I wasn't sure. We decided that it would be best to just leave things alone. There's no reason opening up a box like that and getting involved in something that could be potentially harmful emotionally. So I forgot about it...until I went to Life Church.

That evening, Craig preached from Malachi 4:6. He laser-beam focused the message specifically on sons forgiving their fathers and reconnecting with their fathers.

That message wrecked me. I couldn't even speak when we left. Kyle wanted to know what I had thought of everything and all I could do was choke back my tears.

Later that very evening, I called my natural father. After several bumbling attempts I left a voice mail message on his cell phone. I heard my earthly father's voice for the first time in my life (I'm 37 years old). I can't tell you how that has impacted me as well.

I am not desiring an Oprah Winfrey Reunion with him. But we have talked now twice on the phone. The second conversation was longer than the first. We have decided to take it one conversation and one e-mail at a time.

I am blown away by our God. He is the master orchestrator. He doesn't care what you think you are doing. He is always working out his plan in spite of your own plans. I just want to be obedient to him. I want him to finish this work he has began in me...whatever the heck that is.

I know my natural father is not a Christian. I don't know if I am supposed to help out with that or not...but I will simply obey what Jesus is wanting me to do.

God really is an amazing God!

No comments: