Monday, April 28, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 8)

Today's Scriptures are Matthew 6:5-15. I preached this passage yesterday at church. Prayer has been a difficult struggle for me. It isn't something I have "down" or have completely figured out.

Sometimes I feel like I can do it with no problem and feel very close to God. Other times it is just weird. I feel like I am talking into the air, forcing something to happen spiritually...and it usually doesn't.

There are times when I have prayed that all of a sudden a cuss word pops into my head (and I don't cuss...I really don't). Why in the #$&!!?# would that happen to me? I don't know. Maybe it is a spiritual attack or something or maybe I am just a doofus when it comes to really trying to connect with God.

I am really easily distracted. Kind of like a woman going into a store to buy shoes...but all the pretty blouses and purses are between her and the shoes. It is easy to get distracted, I think.

That's why we should have time to do this prayer thing when we are all alone. Get away somewhere and just try to focus on God. That's a key element in this process.

"Lord, you are an awesome God. Give me the focus this week to be able to spend time each day with You and not be distracted. Help me to give you first focus in my mind and heart. Thank you that I didn't think of a cuss word while I wrote this. In Jesus' Name.."

No comments: