Monday, June 2, 2008

My Bible Journey

I read Proverbs Chapter 1 today. It seems that you can see two opposing thoughts presented. Those who listen to wisdom and those who don't. Those who can hear wisdom and those who can hear fools.

I desire to listen to wisdom. I do not want to be labeled "simple" or a "fool". Although there have been too many times in my life where I have been both. A simple fool.

I want and desire to know the path that I am supposed to walk. It isn't an easy path to discern. It isn't clearly marked and it is a winding path.

But the path of the simple fool is so open and clearly marked. There are no obstacles in this path. I could easily drive down it.

But wisdom's path is treacherous at times. There are all kinds of obstacles and there is no easy way to travel this path. It is just hard work.

That's the way it is for the wise. It doesn't come easy. The wise person usually bears the marks of the path of wisdom. Thorns and vines that have cut. Sore feet. Aching limbs.

That is the path I choose to walk. Wisdom's hard path.

We have a book we have bought for our sons...Do Hard Things. That's the lesson we are trying to ingrain in them. That is what I need to model for them. I need to let them see me in action...doing hard things. Things that aren't comfortable. Things that are wise and not foolish.

They need to see us making wise choices with our money, with our time, with our speech and morals. They need to clearly see wisdom's mark in our life.

No comments: