Saturday, June 28, 2008

Making a Bad Decision Worse

Today I was at Wal Mart. While I was taking our cart back to a cart corral, I noticed a gal in a mini-van who was headed down the lane the wrong way. Normally this wouldn't be too big of a deal, but she had gone so far in that she was committed now to going all the way through the lane. People were getting mad and giving her the horn and mean stares.

As she drove by me, her window was down and I felt really bad for her because she was saying, "I'm sorry! I know I'm going the wrong way! There's nothing I can do now." I really did feel bad for her. I could tell she was exasperated.

When she finally made it to the end of the lane, she was so out of sorts that she made the very next turn (I believe just to get out of the situation she was in), but the problem was it was a turn taking her down another lane THE WRONG WAY. I just stood there at the cart corral taking it all in.

In her desperation to get out of the situation she was in, she made it worse by making another bad decision.

That made me think. I was reading Malachi 3:8-10 the other day and I thought about that passage again after seeing the drama in the Wal Mart parking lot.

A lot of people start to face difficulties in their finances and they are kind of like that lady going down the lane the wrong way. They are flustered and exasperated by their circumstances. But sometimes they make a bad situation worse by choosing to not give their tithe until times get better. Talk about making it much, much worse!

That kind of a decision will only lead to more problems. It's like the lady who finally gets out of the lane going the wrong way, and in her confused state she makes the easiest choice she can...she turns down the nearest lane. Well...that lane is only taking her down another path of wrong-wayness. It is a bad, bad decision to not tithe.

God is not as nice. He calls it robbery. Don't make the wrong choice with your finances...even when times get tough in the economy. Don't rob God. If you do, you will only be going in the wrong direction and you will experience intense frustration and exasperation!

Trusting Him with your finances, even through tough times, is like waiting for that right lane to turn into. Once you are there, you will be better off for having waited.

No comments: