Thursday, June 5, 2008

I Hate Pulse 99.5!

Okay, I have been silent long enough. I used to listen to one of my local Christian radio stations quite frequently. It was the station formerly known as The Q. Something very, very bad has happened. Aliens have come and taken over my old station.

They have infused the DJ's with some weird elixir that has turned their brains to mush so now they think that in an effort to be more appealing to a non-Christian audience they can play lots of styles on the same station.

What they are doing is the same thing we did when we tried to blend our worship services...we made everybody mad. They play everything from rap to border-line country. There's heavy metal and teenie bop pop. It's disgusting.

I'm all about trying to reach lost people...just figure out which ones you want to reach!! If you try to reach everybody, you'll get nobody.

Choose a style...Pulse (which is what the new station is called). Find the heartbeat of your target audience and stick with it. You are trying to reach too many people with too much variety and I can't stand the station anymore.

I don't mind change, mind you. I'm all for it. But it's like you have lost your mind. The songs switch styles faster than I change channels sitting in my Lazy-Boy recliner! It's really annoying!

This isn't a post because I think I can do something about it, it's just a rant, really. I can't stand the new Pulse! So I'll climb down from my little box now.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, brother, Amen!

Shane Vander Hart said...

Yes... I agree. You can stay up on that box a little while longer if you want.

EB said...

MP-

I wanted to say thanks for talking about Pulse in such a negative light. Because the 'religious' "Christian" community could not get comfortable with the idea of actually doing something to try and reach those who do not yet know Christ, the station is in jeopardy of being gone before it really ever had a chance to get started...

Too many "Christians" talk about how faithful they are, yet don't do anything to actually expand God's Kingdom, as REQUIRED.

I would challenge you to reflect on your use of the word hate - see if that is an okay thing, in God's eyes or not - and then determine what you are doing to carry out the great commission. If you are always working with Christians on building up one another's faith, you are accomplishing nothing.

Good luck MP.

VML said...

Hey, I'm 24 years old.
I own an iPod, my friends own iPods, and in my travels...the average playlist on these devices are as eclectic as Pulse is! The average attention span of an 18 yr old with music is like a mouse on crack ;) (sorry for the "worldly analogy") It's rare that a young person will listen to an album anymore in it's entirety. We bounce around genres and styles and don't think anything about it.
Lyrics are very important to me, and that's what I've noticed Pulse is all about. Young people like myself can finally find great songs on a station other than KISS107FM. And the DJ's sound like real people, not the "Big Hair Network(TBN) I'm not embarrassed to show this station to my friends in the car.
True...it's not my mother's style to jump from Nichole Nordeman to Demon Hunter...but I don't think Pulse 99.5 is targeting her (or MasterPastor for that matter;). If some of this negative energy and time writing blogs was spent on supporting the only alternative there is...We'd see secular radio stations changing their ways after being broadsided by the success of a Christian/Positive music station right here in Des Moines!
This isn't a post because I think I can do something about it, it's just a rant, really. I love the new Pulse! So I'll climb down from MY little box now

Recovering said...

If you haven't listened to Pulse 99.5 in the last couple of weeks (July 08), you need to. There is a new person picking music. The majority of current Pulse fans will still love it and old Q listeners have a station to return to. Check it out! I'm excited!

Recovering said...

What are you thinking about Pulse now, MP?

Unknown said...

It's actually good stuff and I've learned to lighten up a bit regarding the commercials too:)

Peace,
Tim

Pam said...

Pulse has changed quite a bit since your post... I hope you've given it another try. My 3 and 5 year old sing along to it every day :)

Redfreedom19 said...

Pulse 99.5 changed my life at the age of 16. Without its positive and uplifting music I would be lost! One genre of music makes a station very unappealing for a young person. There is nothing wrong with christian worship music but I doubt that others along with myself would tolerate the same sounds all day. With variety comes more listeners. If Pulse continued to play the same genre we would end up like Life 107.1! I'm now 20 years old and I still enjoy Pulse and I always will!

Mike Demastus said...

@Redfreedom19 I would say that I have come full circle since the original posting of this in 2008. If you look at what Pulse did at that time was they took a very big risk and I was not the only person that felt the way I felt. Many were so upset with the station that they left it never to return. I have returned and I do like most of the music they offer on the station. But my main issue with the station was not music preference. It was their decision to play non-Christian music. That really bothered me. They didn't do it regularly but back then they started adding artists to their regular line-up that were non-Christian. That was a major issue with me.