Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Bible Journey (Proverbs 3)

The passage for today is Proverbs 3. I love this chapter! You learn that gaining favor with God and man comes from being a person of love and faithfulness. You learn that real, lasting health comes from not thinking to highly of yourself and avoiding evil like the plague. You learn that the pathway to wealth is paved with honoring God with the wealth you have already received. You learn that wisdom, true wisdom, is a treasure more valuable than anything else on planet earth.

But most of all, we learn that trusting in Lord with all our heart is the key to life!

It also happens to be the most difficult key to bear. It can unlock so much for us, but there is something about this particular key that most of us struggle with.

I have a bunch of keys on my key ring. At times, I think I could also pass for a High School janitor. There are about four keys that I really know well on my key ring. My house key, my church key, and my two car keys. The rest of my keys I have to guess at.

I never have to guess when I am standing at the door of my house as to which one is my house key. But someone else may.

I remember one time we came home from the grocery store and it was pouring down rain. My son took my keys from my hand and thought he'd beat all of us to the door and open it so we could rush in with our groceries not getting too wet. It was a good plan except for one minor detail.

He didn't know which key opened the door. He stood there fumbling for the longest time. I eventually took the keys from him and opened the door myself. By this time we were drenched rats.

That's what this verse is like. God is telling us that if we trust in him with all our hearts, that is the key to life. It will open the right door for us. It will make our pathway straight.

But we fumble this one. We convince ourselves that some other key will open the door. So we try the achievement key or the "I can do this on my own" key. And they all fail miserably, leaving us out in the rain like drenched rats.

There is only one key to life. God shares with us very plainly which one it is. It is the key of trusting in him with all our hearts. Our job is to remember this key at all times...even when it is storming in our lives. That is the only key that will open the right door for us!

No comments: