Wednesday, May 7, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 17)

Today's Scriptures are John 13:1-5. I love this passage of Scripture. Jesus the mighty become Jesus the lowly.

He serves his disciples in what was probably their most awkward moment in their 3 year journey with Jesus. Imagine the silence in the room as Jesus stands up. Should they get up with Him? Does He need something? Maybe He's just going to the bathroom?

But He starts to remove his outer clothing. Why is He doing that? Did a bug get in there?

And then He wraps a towel around His waist. No, He's not going to do what I think He's going to do, is He? This can't be.

And then the water basin. And the first disciple that He kneels down before...just imagine that posture. The Highest Leader of All kneeling before a bewildered follower.

Nothing but silence. No words spoken. It is all they can do to stay seated. You hear only the water dripping and the movement of His hands over their dirty feet.

I find it compelling that John goes out of his way to make sure that we know that Judas isn't only present (he's the only disciple mentioned by name in these verses) but that he had already committed to betrayal. Imagine that one. Jesus washing his feet.

No one in the room except Jesus and Judas knew anything more. And neither of them let on that they knew anything at all. But Judas was even more uncomfortable than the rest of the disciples as this happened to him as well.

Here's my take-away from this...I need to be that kind of leader. A servant leader. I need to be stooping way more than I stand propped up (and when I am propped up, maybe it should be while I am on my cross).

I also need to understand that those close to me, may not always be there. And even though I may feel betrayed, I still need to serve them.

I need to care deeply about those that I lead. I need to do tasks that I might have a tendency to consider "beneath me."

"Lord, thank you for the Perfect Example. Help me to follow it. Help me to be humble. Help me to not aspire for greatness in any one's eyes. Help me to find satisfaction in menial work. Help me to not care about position. Help me to serve others."

No comments: