Saturday, May 3, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 14)

This has been an interesting week. The focus of this past week has been on prayer. I spent some good quality time this week getting alone with God. Sometimes I did that by leaving my office and going to the woods for a walk (and a snake hunt…it’s surprising how spiritual that kind of activity can be).

Other times I just got up early, before anyone else and spent time alone with God…putting Him first in my day. I like that. I think it is really important to start my day with Him. I want to keep the practices we are going through on this Encounter Journey up past this experience. I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It is nice to do something just for me…and not feel like it is something I hope everyone else will benefit from.

I remember many years back I preached a three week series on anger that I called, “How to be Good and Mad.” That series was for me. The church just happened to be there each week as I preached to myself.

That’s what I feel like this series is. It is for me. And the church is just there as I realize this is my most important adventure as a Christ follower…to have a deeper, richer, better encounter with God than I have ever had.

This next week’s focus is on encountering God through people. I am a people person, but I am also a difficult person to get along with. So this week I expect God to be chiseling away at some areas in my life where I rub other people the wrong way. (I hope I can keep some of my issues related to being a better driver than the rest of humanity though…I hope God doesn’t go there!)

Should be a good week ahead!

Lord Jesus, help me to continue in this journey of encountering you in a new and fresh way. Help me be the person you want me to be. Help me to love my brothers and sisters the way that you love me. Thank you for putting up with me. In Jesus’ Name."

No comments: