Monday, May 5, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 15)

Today's Scriptures are Matthew 12:46-50.

I never got along very well with my older sister. Still don’t, to be totally honest. We don’t get into fist fights like we had a tendency to do when I was a child. We just don’t talk to each other. I mean it. No birthday cards. No phone calls. No letters. We just don’t communicate at all.

That’s kind of weird, if you think about it. I have two sons. They are brothers. I would die if they treated each other the way my sister and I relate. Why is that? Why is it okay for me but not for them?

Probably because I’m a hypocrite. Getting along with others in my family wasn’t always an aspired to goal. We really knew how to fight. We learned to live in toleration of each other. We never really out right hated each other…we just lived life close together without really caring about each other.

That’s how it is in church sometimes. We just don’t really care that much about each other. And that is sad. Just as sad as me not having a relationship with my older sister.

If that’s how I relate to my sister, then it bums me out that Jesus thinks of me as his brother. I have a proven track record of being a bad brother. I wonder if Jesus feels like my sister at times? I wonder if I cold shoulder Jesus?

Well, I think I need to make some significant changes in my life. I am going to give my sister a call before this week is out and see how she is doing. Just talk. Not sure how that will go, but it can’t be any worse than what is happening now.

Lord, thank you for calling me a brother. Forgive me for being a bad brother. Help me this week in talking with my sister. Help me to not have an agenda in calling but help me to just be interested in her and her life. Give me words, Lord. In Jesus’ Name."

No comments: