Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pop Goes The Church Book Study Final Thoughts

It has been a while since I have posted anything on this, but we (Kyle and Nate) decided to finish it up with one more post.

I thought this book was great. Here are my take-aways from it...

*Using the Pop culture to find an entry way into people's lives is not only a good choice but it is a biblical one. There are many examples of this being done in the New Testament.

*Creating Buzz is not the end-all but it is certainly a precious commodity in trying to reach people for Christ.

*I like the practical examples that Tim Stevens shares...although not every church can purchase billboards that direct you to a web site about a sermon series...there are things that can be done that are comparable but not quite as large-scale.

*I like the "exposure" ideas he shares as well. (Conferences, Church Tours, Web services, and books are all means that I am employing and wanting to do more of in the future.)

*The sharing stories is something I need to be better at...although I am working hard at trying to do this...I believe it creates momentum when others hear life-change stories from people that are being impacted by what we do.

*I love, I love, I love his point on not worrying about being original. Yes, you most certainly can be innovative without being original. Our 30 Days series is a prime example of that fact.

All in all, I found this to be a great book. I really enjoyed Tim Steven's humor and insight.

1 comment:

Phillips said...

Good point about sharing other people's stories as a way to gain momentum. I agree with that. Also, I like your point about being innovative without being original.