Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Pop Goes The Church Book Study1


This is going to be the first post in a number to come for a very interesting book study that I am going to be doing via my blog with three other bloggers. The book we are studying is Tim Stevens' book Pop Goes The Church. I am studying this book cooperatively with Kyle Phillips, Dan Hudson, and Nate Liston.

We all plan on posting our thoughts on the book around the same time and then commenting on each other's blogs to see what we got out of each chapter we have read. The cool thing is that you can participate too. If you see something good or thought-provoking then jump in the discussion!

So here goes...my thoughts about the introduction and chapter one of Pop Goes The Church:

I thought it was really cool that Tim Stevens starts off his book with a story about a massive explosion that happened in Pleasant Hill, IA in November of 1983. (For more on that story follow this Link.)

His point was that churches need to be making strong, immediate impact in people's lives when they visit. He asked the question, "What is happening in your church that is worth talking about?" I think that is a significant and valid question.

The truth is I get extremely jazzed about things that we are doing but I don't know how many other people in the church share those same feelings...I think if I truly found out, it would be dismally disappointing (so I don't really want to know).

The fact that most people don't ever consider inviting their unsaved friend or co-worker with them to their church (to our church) validates the fact that most people don't see the church as a relevant place. Unfortunately, I would have to agree with that. At least in how most people live it out...even in our setting.

I found it interesting from chapter one that most people in America are becoming increasingly spiritual but less apt to attend church. I went onto the Popgoesthechurch.com web site and watched Deb's Story...all I could say was, "Wow!" It was sad and riveting all at the same time. I think there are more Debs out there than we know.

I believe that I absolutely and philosophically agree with Tim Stevens that the purpose of the church is more than just nurturing those within it's walls (see Acts 2:42-47)...it is a multifaceted purpose that also stretches outside of the walls of the local church to the lost.

Growing up in a more legalistic church setting, I really identified with Tim's personal love/frustration with the church. I also believe it is high time we got out of our "holy huddles" and got serious about the awesome potential of a church that leverages the popular culture to share the love of our Savior with the world. I'm sold out for that idea. I don't just want to be like Willow Creek...I want to be The Fort. I don't want to try to be someone else. I think our congregation has it's own unique identity.

But I think who we are has got to be wrapped up in caring about lost people. Lost people matter to God and they definitely need to matter to us. And we need to take an attitude that says, "I will do anything short of sin to win lost people to Jesus!" Because hell is a very real place. That's my heartbeat.

I am really excited about getting into this book. All that I've read so far has got me pumped up. I hope the rest of you are enjoying it too.

2 comments:

Nate Liston said...

I think it is a sad commentary that the church has become "irrelevant." I've even talked to Christians who say they don't get anything out of church, but go more out of obligation. How can we expect others to come? I'm looking forward to reading more of the book, hoping it will give some practical tips on upping the relevancy factor.

Phillips said...

I think the perception of what it means to be a Christian, which by the way is thanks to us Christians, is very harmful to what we need to be doing. I wonder if becoming relevant is really going to change that. Hmmmmm.