Monday, July 14, 2008

My Bible Journey (Proverbs 6)

I recently read Proverbs 6. I noticed several important topics in the chapter.

Verses 1-5 deal with the issue of debt. Freedom from debt is something I should work with all my might to achieve. It is hard work, but well worth the pay off at the end.

Verses 6-11 deal with having a strong work ethic. If I am going to want to accomplish anything worthwhile in life...I've got to work for it. And coming off of the verses dealing with debt, it makes sense that if I am going to be debt free then that will require a great deal of hard work. There is no short cut. I can't lottery my way out of debt. I can't manipulate my way out of debt. The Bible is very clear on this matter...there is one way out of debt. Hard Work. There are no substitutes.

Verses 12-19 deal with people that scheme and manipulate their way through life. They will use every trick of the trade to get ahead. And God's Word is very clear that about any and all of the tools of a manipulative schemer are all tools that God despises. So the message to me is, don't use people. Don't try to get mine while hurting someone in the process.

Verses 20-35 deal with avoiding adultery. If I am going to be the man God has called me to be then I must guard my heart. My wife is the only woman that needs to catch my eye. I need to be completely and only satisfied in my wife in all things. There is nothing on the outside of my home that can help me.

If I choose to look or lust or follow after another then I most certainly will bring down destruction on myself and my family. There is too much to lose. And I must be willing to fight to avoid. I must "work hard" at avoiding it.

Good lesson for us all.

No comments: