Sunday, July 13, 2008

Need some more remembrance and do...

I have been thinking about something lately. I've been wondering about why it is that we seem to not be growing numerically in the way that I would like. I believe that it's got to happen. For the ultra-spiritual person who says that spiritual growth is more important than numerical growth...I say, "You're missing the point."

If you grow spiritually, you will grow numerically. You can't separate the two. But it is possible to grow numerically and not grow spiritually. So what is the answer?

I proposed something to a few in leadership that I think is one of the keys in this. In James 1:22-25 I see a three-fold principle outlined.

#1) We need to intently HEAR God's Word.

Now I think we are doing this first step well. Not to pat myself on the back, but I know I am preaching the truth and handling God's Word correctly. I know I am preaching the Word with all my heart! So this one we are doing. We are intently hearing the Word proclaimed.

#2) We need to REMEMBER what it says.

This is the beginning of our problem. People come to church each week and listen to the sermons and walk out and by the time they have gotten into their cars, they've already forgotten what they have heard. We need to help people have a more concrete experience than this.

We need to help them "Not Forget" what they have heard. I think there are ways of accomplishing this.

#3) We need to DO what it says.

This is definitely another area of failure for us. We are not DOING the Word of God. We are simply hearers at this point, in my opinion. I think we can DO much better.

So I am intentionally going to be focusing on these two latter steps with every sermon that I preach from now on. I am going to be giving out "homework" and having little exercises to accomplish each week, so that retention is increased and the probability of application is raised as well.

I believe it has got to become an intentional act on my part to help people along in these last two steps. Now, having said that, I can't hold everyone's hand either. People are going to have to learn to do some of this on their own.

I just think part of the answer of our growth issue is that we focus largely on helping people hear the message, but not necessarily helping them remember it or do it. I want that to change. I want to work on all three areas...Hearing, Remembering and Doing.

No comments: