Tuesday, July 1, 2008

My Bible Journey (Proverbs 4)

I have been a little behind on sharing what I am learning from the Word. Last week I was on vacation. Sorry about that. But here's where I've been.

I read Proverbs 4 recently. There is a common thread to all four chapters. The acquisition of wisdom and knowledge.

There really are two different perspectives in life. Human or Divine. Horizontal or Vertical.

You could definitely say that the Horizontal perspective is the more popular of the two. But the Vertical perspective is much more fruitful.

As a human we prefer to think, maintain our attitudes, and conduct our lives independently. Human opinions have more weight and influence with us than God's commands and principles. Horizontal solutions seem to give us greater security and pleasure.

When I am under the gun of some deadline, I prefer a tangible way out instead of God telling me to just trust Him to see it through. Rather than waiting on the Lord to solve my dilemma in His own time, I would rather step in and manipulate a fast, painless escape. But that reverses the Divine process.

If I am ever going to grow in my faith. If I am ever going to quit playing games with God then I need to begin to take on the Divine perspective. I need to "know wisdom" as it is described in the book of Proverbs.

My spiritual life is limited by it's narrow perspective. It is mostly one-dimensional with little vision and seemingly less and less passion. That's because I think if I can do it all on my own that somehow I am being spiritual.

But Proverbs is teaching me a broader, deeper, richer perspective. The little sayings in Proverbs have the power to change my whole outlook, if I am willing. I need to long for His viewpoint. I need to desire His wisdom.

I need to keep searching and pursuing knowledge and wisdom. I don't think it is an easy task. But I want a new perspective. I want a freshness to my faith. I want to look up instead of simply looking around.

"Help me Jesus to learn wisdom. True wisdom that only you give. Help me to crave it more than water or food. Help me gain your perspective. Help me to shed all trust in human wisdom. In Jesus' Name."

No comments: