Thursday, March 13, 2008

New Normal

I watched a driver's safety video the other day re-enforcing the idea of wearing one's seat belt. It was entitled "Room to Live." You can watch the video HERE. But a couple of things stood out to me from the video.

In one part, there was an interview with a couple who had lost their teen daughter in a roll-over accident where had she worn her seat belt she would have lived. It was devastating to the parents obviously. But something the mom said that just hasn't left me.

She said at one point, "We just have to find a new normal." She was referring to life without their daughter. But for me I find more in her words than she intended.

I think in the church we need to always be on the prowl for the new normal. One of my greatest fears as a leader is that I will grow fat and happy and begin to fear change.

I want to never stop changing. I want the church to always be in process. Our search for the new normal must be a relentless pursuit. We must never settle. We must never be satisfied with how we are doing.

I believe that we can always evaluate ways to do what we do better. We can always be trying to find our "new normal."

3 comments:

Phillips said...

Thanks for this post. We share something in common - it made me realize that I don't want to fear change either, and I'm starting to be that. Thanks for opening my eyes!

Phillips said...

Instead of seat belts, wouldn't it be interesting if someone did a video portraying the idea of "if only I had talked to them about Christ before they died."

Mike Demastus said...

Wow! What a great idea! I think that is a video we need to start thinking about. I love the idea. We could do someting really cool with that.