Monday, December 22, 2008

Fast and Slow

Tonight my oldest son confessed to me that sometimes he feels like his life goes too slow. I confessed to him that MOST of the time I feel like his life goes too fast! It reminded me of a question that my youngest son asked me the other day. He wanted to know what would happen if I stomped on the brakes and the gas pedal at the same time. I told him nothing would happen (I think).

That's what is happening right now with me and my oldest son. Brakes and gas. Slow and fast. I need to give a little, so that the proper momentum can occur, but he needs to be understanding with my unwillingness to go too fast.

My goal is not to rush my kids out of my house as soon as they are 18. I don't want them to leave. I don't want them to rush out of our home. I want them with us as long as possible.

The reality is that I have about four more Christmases to spend with him...maybe five. And I think they are coming along too fast. I want it to slow way down.

So we have to find a happy medium. That's hard to do. But such is parenting...it's not a science. It's actually a messy, sloppy experience. But, with Christ's help we will reach the goal of developing our children (which he gave to us) into godly men who are agressive, responsible leaders in life.

No comments: