Sunday, December 21, 2008

Criticism...

The other day in my mailbox I received a copy of my last newsletter article from a person who also attached a note to it. In the note, they explained that there were several grammatical problems they had with my article. (Which really confused me because I is a real good writer, I really is!)

But here's the deal, I had not asked for this...although it was still given to me. I have never said, "I need help with my grammar, can you help me?" But I have been getting letters like these for a number of years.

To be frank, it ticks me off. I don't give a rat's read end about proper grammar if I am able to get my point across and be heard.

I realize though, I don't handle unsolicited criticism well. When no prior permissions have been granted and someone feels like they need to address an issue with me, typically I perceive it as an attack or an assault. And that is especially true when I don't know if the person has my best interest in mind.

I have a rule that I employ when it comes to receiving criticism. I need to know three things:

1. Does this person love Jesus? Because if they don't, or if I am unsure in any way, then it is a no-go! They can tell me anything they like, and I will probably give them an ear-full back.

2. Does this person love the church? I need to know that they are passionate about the church growing and helping lost people find Jesus and found people know more about Jesus.

3. Does this person have my best interest in mind? Because if I have any question about that, then why do I want to hear from them?

Approaching pastors with petty crap like grammar in a sermon or a newsletter article gets real old after the 37th time. Also approaching pastors with the volume levels of the musicians gets real old after the 2nd time!

I think it is important to receive criticism from someone if I know that they love Jesus, love the church and love me. And criticism from someone like that will stop me in my tracks and cause me to really examine what is being said.

But for the most part, it is sad that in the church it can be the last place that you see someone practicing what Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:29. We need to be more gracious in our speech with each other. We need to look for ways to encourage instead of looking for what's wrong. We seem to be on a constant witch hunt with each other in the church a lot of the time. That get's old too!

How do you handle unsolicited criticism? Me, it really depends on who is bringing it. Otherwise, they are just another mouth flapping in the wind.

No comments: