Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Dirty Dishes

In our home, we have responsibilities that each of us are expected to carry out. In fact, we have a "chore chart." Part of that chore chart includes dishes each night. My night is Thursday night. Each of my sons have two nights and Shannon has two nights.

I noticed the other day, as I was getting a glass to drink from, that the glass wasn't clean. It had been washed but it hadn't been washed enough.

Now I don't want to brag, but I know when I wash a glass that you won't find milk rings on the bottom of the glass when I'm done. I will wash the glass and you will be able to drink from it knowing that it is a clean glass.

My children, however, don't always accomplish the task in the same manner.

Isn't that just like us? We know that we need to be clean before God. So we try to clean our act up, but we always miss something or forget something or try to hide something. But God knows every spot, every stain, every blemish.

The fact is, we can't do it. We cannot clean ourselves up enough so that we can be in right relationship with God. It is impossible. He is wholly other than us. And our efforts at getting our act together are futile.

That is why we have to place our trust in His Perfect Sufficiency. We need allow Him to do our dishes! Because there is no way he could ever dine with us unless He gets the plates clean in our lives.

And that is done through Jesus and only Jesus. There is no other way.

My heavenly Father desires to dine with me, but I keep insisting that I can manage getting things ready for Him, but that isn't the case. I need to stop trying to earn His approval and just relax in the knowledge that He just chooses to love me in spite of my dirty dishes! What a great God we serve!

No comments: