Saturday, November 29, 2008

Baptism

I had a conversation about baptism the other day. I was asked why I don't preach about it more often than I do. Here is my thinking on the subject...

You can search the Scriptures and find that the idea of an unimmersed believer does not exist in the New Testament. There is really one simple answer I have to anyone objecting to the idea of being baptized. In Mark 16:16 Jesus said that we need to be baptized so that ends any and all debate on the subject. It really is that simple.

The Scriptures teach that baptism is done through immersion. That's why other groups that practice sprinkling or pouring are off the mark. The word in the New Testament for BAPTISM literally means immersion. Romans 6:4 says that baptism is a burial. Have you ever been to a burial where they considered the body buried when only a handful of dirt was sprinkled on the casket? No. A body is buried when it is put down into the earth and dirt is completely covered over it. That's the picture of baptism.

That is why we immerse at The Fort. And we don't baptize babies either. (Although we will do a baby dedication service.) The chief reason we don't baptize babies is because it isn't in Scripture. In Mark 16:16 Jesus said, "Whoever believes..." Babies don't believe...they can't. So only one with the ability to make this decision for himself should be baptized.

Again, let me make this perfectly clear...EVERY follower of Jesus Christ must be baptized (John 3:3)but I also know a lot of christians who have been baptized who are headed for hell. Being baptized isn't a ticket to heaven.

I think that we need to follow the Word of God but we also can't cross a line and start making eternal assessments for people. It isn't our job to say, "If you haven't been baptized you are going to hell." My butt is too small for God's throne, so I quit trying to sit there.

Picture this scenario...a young 18 year old soldier named Tim is stationed in Iraq. In his company is another young man who has befriended him. This friend has started talking to Tim about the Lord. Tim has shown a lot of interest in all that his new friend has been sharing. He's even been reading the Bible his friend had given him. But one day, Tim was shot and mortally wounded in an engagement with a group of insurgents.

In Tim's final moments he cries out for mercy to Jesus. Tim has never been baptized. But he called on His Lord with his dying breaths. Will we see Tim in heaven. I believe with all my heart, yes.

Can God who is partial to the humble resist such a plea? He couldn't with the thief on the cross (Luke 23:42-43) and I don't believe he does now.

But I still believe that every follower of Christ that is able must be baptized for God's Word is very, very clear on this subject (Acts 2:38).

But it is a subject that I will talk about with every person that wants to become a Christian but it isn't something I will preach about week to week. Baptism isn't a felt need in most people's lives. Balancing their checkbook is. Parenting wayward kids is. Broken marriages is. And once we cross those bridges, God opens doors for more solid discussions on topics like baptism. That's just how I roll!

No comments: