Saturday, June 9, 2007

A Lesson From Violet

I did a funeral today for a gal named Violet. I was told that she was a devout Christian who read her Bible almost every day. She was very active in her church (their church was without a pastor...that's why I was called in) and taught Sunday School and played the piano.

Her two sons helped me plan out the service. But the interesting thing to me was the fact that neither of these guys attends church now. I wonder why that is.

It may be that having a real faith is more than attendance at church or even being involved in a congregation...I think we can get involved and miss the main point.

My goal is that when I am laid into the earth and my sons stand at my graveside that they will say something like, "My dad inspired us to be closer to Jesus. He wasn't perfect but we want to have a faith in Jesus like he did."

If I can accomplish that, then I have accomplished my life's goal. Having people at my church be impressed with me doesn't count if my sons don't see it in my life. Being an influential member of a congregation (I'm told that Violet was) doesn't mean anything if I cannot leverage influence over my sons lives to live for Jesus.

It is most important that my family sees it in me rather than a church I attend being impressed with me.

My sons have to listen to me preach every week...but I want them to see the sermon I preach every day.

No comments: