Thursday, February 5, 2009

Missions

One of the folks from our Missions Committee told me today something that was incredibly cool. In 1998, the year I started at The Fort, we gave a total of $8,100.00 to Missions work. Last year, in 2008, ten years later, we gave a total of $35,000.00 to Missions.

That is waaay cool! I believe as a point of conviction that God will not bless our church if we don't give beyond ourselves. If a church stays so selfish and only uses the resources it has for itself, then it is destined for failure.

A few years ago we went through a difficult financial period. I had one person tell me that he believed that we needed to think of ourself as a mission and we needed to cut back on what we were giving to global missions. I was defiant and told him over my dead body.

A church that doesn't give to missions won't grow. Period.

God's kingdom has been advanced, and we have been blessed by blessing other mission works around the world.

Deaf children in Council Bluffs, IA have been reached with the Gospel because our church was faithful in missions work. A five year old girl was saved from the sex slave trade in Cambodia because our church was faithful in giving to missions.

That is important work. Paying for our heating, or even my salary, pales in comparison to that. So good job! I know God is pleased with our giving. Now let's take it up a notch in 2009!

No comments: