Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Amanda the Wiccan

I stopped in at McDonald's today. I actually had to return a Red Box DVD but I decided to go in and get a pop as well. While I was in line, I noticed this young McDonald's employee sitting near me at a table (obviously on her break) reading a book. The title of the book caught my eye. She was reading a book on magical herbs. She was also wearing a pentacle...a well known symbol for the wiccan religion.

So I asked her, "So, are you a wiccan?"

She looked up from her book at me and said, "Yep."

I said, "I couldn't help but notice the title of your book. So how long have you been into Wicca?"

"Oh, I don't know," she said, "since Jr. High sometime."

I just nodded. After I got my order I just wondered how she got caught up in it. Was she involved in a youth group but the kids in the group were mean to her and never accepted her? Were her parents devoutly religious people on Sundays and anything but during the rest of the week?

Her name tag displayed her name, "Amanda." I know you don't know her. Neither do I. But God does. She is swimming in darkness and lost. Pray that God can break through to her. Pray for Amanda.

Wiccans detest Christians for the most part. So I didn't try to start up a discussion about Jesus with her. But pray for the opportunity to arise.

Amanda needs Jesus. Because the dark power she is seeking to leverage in her life may have made big promises to her but it will ultimately be her destruction as well. Because that is the only natural result of involvement in Wicca.

No comments: