Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day Weekend Rest

I have been in Kewanee, IL with my in-laws for the weekend holiday. My youth pastor held down The Fort while I was gone. (It's nice to have other staff who can jump in the pulpit when you need to have a break!)

I had the opportunity to hear my father-in-law preach for the first time. He preaches at First Congregational Church in Galva, IL. Here are a couple pics from the building...



The building is beautiful on the outside, this image doesn't do it justice. It was built in 1865. There are about a dozen churches in Galva which boasts about 2,800 residents.
These stained-glass windows are stunning. There were more throughout the church but these were the centerpiece. The church members are very proud of their building (as they should be).

My father-in-law was hired to help them come back from the brink. On the Sunday I was there, there were 35 people in attendance (including the six of us)...that was a record Sunday! Pray for Bob's ministry there. Pray for the people to begin to care about their community as much as they do their building. Pray for them to wake up from their long, deep slumber!

Pretty churches with no people. I pray to God that The Fort never gets that way!

No comments: