Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Encounter Journey (Day 9)

Today's Scripture is John 17. This is a very different passage for me. I feel like a voyeur when I read it. Jesus is praying, very intimately with his Father. And I feel like I shouldn't be listening in on it, but I can't help myself when I read this section.

He prays for Himself, He prays for His followers, but He also prays for me. That is astounding! Jesus prayed for me. Why? And specifically (maybe even more scary) why does He think I need to be prayed for?

Apparently, what I can glean from listening in on this prayer, is that Jesus somehow thinks that I am going to have a difficult time getting along with other Christians. Like that is a possibility! I come from the Churches of Christ, the most unified group on planet earth! (Wait a second, I'm thinking I shouldn't have said that.)

Jesus knew that having unity in the Church would be the most difficult obstacle to overcome. And that is the heartbeat of His prayer for us today. That we would be One.

Now, not to turn this into an advertisement, but I am so excited that there will be overlap into an upcoming series that begins the second week of June. I am very excited about this series, it is probably one of the most unique experiences we will have ever had as a congregation. Click this to read more:
OnePrayer.com
"Jesus, help us to answer your prayer by being one. Help me to understand that when I treat other Christians wrongly I am trying to mess with your prayers. Help me Father to love people. In Jesus' Name."

No comments: