Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dentists and God

I have been avoiding something. I am going to be making the call though. I haven't been to see my dentist for almost the same amount of time that I haven't been to see my doctor.

The last time I had an appointment they called to reschedule another appointment with me because the dentist had a conflict. I wasn't there to take the call so I just got the message on my answering machine. I figured if he was going to treat me like that then he could wait for a while before I found the time to go back and visit him! That was almost three years ago.

So I think I need to go back. I don't have any problems (at least none that I'm aware of). I just think I should get back and have a check-up.

But while I'm there, I'm going to ask him a question I've been thinking about. I wonder what it is like for him knowing that everyday as he gets up and goes to work that he is going to be the worst part of someone's day?

When people are thinking about what they are going to do in their day, facing the dentist is way low on their "exciting things" list.

I wonder if that's how God feels, kind of like my dentist? Think about how a lot of people approach going to church...

"We went last week. Do we have to go again? It might rain you know."

Or how about the way a lot of people approach reading the Bible...

"I just don't really have time for that, you know? Oh, did you see who got knocked out on American Idol last night?!"

I wonder if God feels like my dentist? I wonder if He see Himself as the last person most people want to see?

No comments: