Monday, February 4, 2008

Going to the Doctor

Okay...I've been working out at the gym now for quite a while...11 times to be exact. I have lost weight. I got an accurate scale today and it confirmed that it is indeed working. That's good, BUT, and it is a big but...I usually go grocery shopping with my wife on Monday evenings and this Monday evening I went to Wal Mart with her and while I was in Wal Mart's Pharmacy I went over to this machine they have where you can test your blood pressure.

So I sit down and put my arm in the machine (keep in mind I was wearing a sweater) and I push the button to do the test. When it was finished it said I was at Stage 2 Hypertension! I was floored.

Now there are lots of variables for me to consider...like this machine could be totally out of whack (how many people fiddle with it every day?) or I just didn't test well at that particular moment...plus, keep in mind I was wearing a sweater over my arm as I tested on this machine.

But it did have this affect, I am calling my Doctor tomorrow. Dr. Newland. She is a great doctor, but I haven't been to see her in over two years! Last time I went in to see her, I was supposed to come back for a scheduled blood test to see how my cholesterol levels were. I never showed up.

So I am a little nervous but that stupid little machine in Wal Mart scared me more. So I'll call her. I'll go see what state I am in physically.

I hate doctors though...even though mine is great. But the whole experience is a drag.

But, I don't want to end up being 38 and having a heart attack. I really do desire to be healthy. I have been making a pattern of good and healthy choices so I guess I'll just fall in line in all areas.

1 comment:

Shane Vander Hart said...

This is one area of life where ignorance isn't bliss.

I'll pray that it turns out well.