Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Importance of no church




My family and I got away this past weekend. We only left for a short "breather" as I was calling it with people who asked if it was a vacation. My vacation is coming. But not until September.

I think it is really important for someone in the ministry to completely unplug every so often. In fact, I heard a good outline on this recently that I think I will be using in an upcoming message. But here it is...

Divert Daily. Take mini-vacations. Daydream a little during the day. Don't be so "on" 100% of the time. It isn't good for anyone to be that way. Joke with other staff members. Leave the office for a while...but divert daily.

Withdraw Weekly. Take a Sabbath every week. Unplug your phones and just be at home with your family. You need it. You can't always stay connected. You need to be away from the pull of the church at times.

I have found that Saturday is a good day for me. But so many ministry things can even erode into my Saturday. I try to guard as much of it as I can.

Go AWOL Annually. Take a big family trip once a year. You don't have to spend a bunch of money to do this but it is sooo very important for you and your family. This kind of re-charge will be just what you need to keep going.

I'm no expert, but I have been at The Fort for over eight years and I know these three points are an integral part to longevity in ministry.

I'm wondering if anyone else has ideas for how you get the recharge and rest you need?

1 comment:

Phillips said...

I agree 100%. Another idea is to have a date night with your spouse on a regular basis.