Thursday, February 8, 2007

A Follow-Up

Well, I have already had two Mondays this week and I didn't need another one. I got up this morning and came in to the office and had a message that our server was not acting right. Well, it had this message on it: Operating System Not Found.

Of all the error messages you can get, this one is really bad. Long story short...it was actually quite an easy fix. Thankfully. And I sincerely want to say thanks to my two main guys again. We need a disaster recovery plan enabled now.

But I thought it was quite humorous after posting my first post on my new blog about how awesome our web ministry is and how it is so cool. God kind of reminded me this morning...He can take it all away. It has to be all about Him, all for Him, and all because of Him.

That way if we have a server that blows up...I won't have to worry about how am I going to get through this and not cuss...because it is God's server, not ours.

Another interesting thing happened last night as I was leading discussion with our Jr. Highers. My oldest son is in that group. We were talking about people that the world holds up as being like a god in our culture. They answered things like, movie stars, and rich people.

But my son spoke up and said...pastors. I was a little taken aback but I had him explain. And he didn't elaborate a whole lot. He told me later after youth group, on the way home, that he was thinking about people in mega churches and the like who seem a lot like a rock star in some ways and that people really idolize them.

But it was just another little reminder moment for me from God that I am not all that. My son did not intend to dis his dad but it just got me thinking.

Pride can creep into our lives very subtly and very gradually. We can begin to think of ourselves in positions higher than we actually are.

Proverbs 11:2 says, "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." (NIV)

I want to be humble and I want to be wise! Most of all I want my sons to see me as not a perfect dad, but as a good example to them of what it means to follow Jesus. This coming Sunday I preach on business and schedules. My church may think that the sermon is for them...but it is really for me first and foremost. I never want to become so busy that my sons are not first in my life.

1 comment:

Brett Sites said...

Some preachers are seen as gods in the sense that sometimes they are who they reflect. If someone sees Jesus through you, then you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. If they somehow idolize you or put you on a pedestal for living a life they wish they had, well, I'm not sure that's a bad thing, but definitely a misdirected thing. Hopefully, they want what you have so bad that they find Jesus, too!