Tuesday, March 31, 2015

I've been Gronstalled...

Today, while I was at the Capitol, lobbying our State Senators and Representatives concerning important bills before them, I had an interesting interaction with a well-known Iowa Senator. One of the bills that has passed the House of Representatives and is now in committee in the Senate is HF573. It is a bill that would require a young woman who is seeking an abortion to have a sonogram prior to having the abortion.

The reason this bill is so important is because statistics have shown that a woman who sees the image of her baby on sonogram is significantly less likely to go through with an abortion than one who does not. Also, it gives the mother more information when making such a heavy decision. Who wouldn’t want all the facts when having a medical procedure?

This bill was sent to what has been dubbed a “graveyard committee.” So in essence it is sent there to die and never see the light of day again (a phrase that was used with me concerning this). So the two committee heads that are holding this bill hostage in committee until it dies (this Friday) are Bill Dotzler (D) from Iowa Senate District 31 and Joe Bolkcom (D) from Iowa Senate District 43.

I had sent slips for both men and was waiting for them at the door to the Senate Chamber when none other than Senator Mike Gronstal (D) from Iowa Senate District 8 walked right by me. I stuck out my hand and said very cordially, “Mr. Gronstal.”

He stopped and shook my hand. I told him that I appreciated his hard work and service to the state (merely out of respect). Then I said, “I would like to encourage you concerning HF573, the ultrasound bill, to allow that to come out of committee and to the floor for debate and a vote.”

Something in Mr. Gronstal’s demeanor changed. He instantly scowled at me and pointed his finger right at my chest and said, “Do you know what you want? You want to rape a woman twice! That’s what you want. That bill means that a woman who is raped would have to undergo a trans-vaginal ultrasound and be raped all over again. That’s what you want!”

I was taken about by his tone and his demeanor because I had only been respectful and cordial with him. I responded, “No. That is not what I want. I do not think that is a fair characterization of the bill, sir.” And he simply said, “That bill will never see the light of day!” To which he abruptly turned and marched up the steps into the Senate Chamber.

I have heard all these stories from individuals about Mike Gronstal and how horrible he is. Honestly, he is a very small man. Not only in stature but in effect as well. Gronstal runs his little empire at the Senate and makes sure that no bills, like the ultrasound bill will be allowed to survive for a vote. But one day, his reign will end.

Twenty years from now, Gronstal as a Senator will be the faintest of memories to many in Iowa. But if he does not change his course, I am afraid for this man’s soul. He does not know the Lord. He will be held accountable for all the spilled innocent blood that occurred at his leading. My prayer is that one day, before he breathes his last, that he will repent and come to know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Because he will know Jesus as Lord. It is just important for him to make that discovery before he dies.
_____________________________________________________

For clarification, Mike Gronstal is dead wrong on what he said. There is no language in the bill that says anything about a trans-vaginal ultrasound.

No comments: