Sunday, March 8, 2009

Shot in Pulpit

Today's news is headed with the tragic story of the church shooting in Maryville, IL at First Baptist Church. Pastor Fred Winters wasn't long into his sermon when an unknown gunman walked down the middle aisle of the church and started shooting.

The story said that he held up the Bible he was preaching from to shield himself from the coming bullets. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.One week ago Fred Winters preached a sermon about finances. He had no idea that one week later he would be dead.

My hope and my prayer is that every Sunday when I get up to preach that I will leave everything there. My heart needs to be completely exhausted so that I know that I have preached as if it was my very last sermon I will ever preach.

Fred Winters was a good man. What a horrible tragedy for his family and the church he served. Please pray for them.

No comments: