Friday, August 3, 2007

Betty Reno's Two Moons

She was one of the most interesting ladies I had ever met. She had a strong personality and was always just a little "off", if you know what I mean. I was fresh out of Bible college, which means, of course, that I knew everything. That is, until I met Betty Reno. She helped me learn several things about life.

I remember one particularly beautiful night getting a phone call around midnight from Betty. She was frantic and scared. She told me, "I know He's coming back. I just know it!"

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes and asked her what she was talking about. She said, "I see two moons! There are two moons! Jesus is coming back!"

I again asked her, "What are you talking about, Betty?!"

She told me to look outside. I did. One moon...it was a particularly beautiful clear evening. I told her plainly, "Betty, I only see one moon."

She insisted, "I can see them as plain as day! There are two moons in the sky. Jesus is coming back!"

I told her, "Betty, do me a favor, go look out of another window at the moon." She did.

She said, "Well I only see one moon out of this window."

I said, "Betty, I think you are seeing a reflection through your other window. Good night."

That was what it was like dealing with Betty Reno. Just a little off but definitely someone that kept me on my toes because I never knew quite what to expect. She didn't fit any mold. There was only one Betty Reno.

On another occasion as her health was failing, she unfortunately had to have a colostomy bag because of her failing colon. I went to see her the day after the long surgery. After only being in the room with her for a couple of minutes, Betty pulled up her hospital gown to show me her new bag that they had put on her.

I was completely unprepared to see Betty in all her post-surgery and completely nude glory. Being that she was almost 83 at the time, I can honestly say that this is something not one of my Bible College Professors prepared me for.

What do you say to an 83 year old nude woman with a colostomy bag? That should have come up somewhere between Interdisciplinary Studies 101 and Homiletics. But no. I didn't get that part of the course.

So I said what I guess your supposed to say in that circumstance, "Nice bag."

A little later, less than six months, actually, I buried Betty Reno up on the hill from the church building in Putnam where I ministered at the time. I remember the evening of her visitation how I noticed one of our lights went out in the sanctuary. So I waited until everyone left the church and then pulled out the ladder to change the bulb.

As I was on top of the ladder I swear I heard a noise come from Betty's casket. I got off of that ladder quicker than it took me to climb up it and made an executive decision that the light changing could wait until daylight the next morning.

I didn't want Betty giving me one final lesson from that coffin that evening. So I went home. The funeral went off just fine. Early that next morning I got the light bulb changed before anyone get there.

But I will never forget Betty Reno. Definitely one of a kind!

1 comment:

deathsweep said...

Nice story Preach! Members of your calling are noted for getting strange calls in the middle of the night from members of their congregations. That only goes to show you that you're first and foremost in their minds! Hospital visits are funny, I find it utterly amazing how some folks completely lose their modesty along with their teeth and hair! See you soon!

DS