Saturday, July 23, 2011

Please, don't show me your surgery scar...

One of the things I was never taught in Bible College is that there are some people that have problems dicerning when and how much personal information to share. There just wasn't a class to help you cover dealing with these types of people.

I remember the time I went to visit a dear old gal named Betty Reno after she had surgery for cancer. Colon cancer. This was very serious and a life-altering surgery for Betty.

I went to pray with her a day after her surgery. I had been informed that Betty was going to have a colostomy bag for the rest of her life. When I came in the room, Betty was wide awake.

She was genuinely happy to see me. After a little small talk, I prayed for her. When I got through praying, Betty did something I wasn't expecting. She threw off her bed sheet and pulled up her hospital gown all in one quick motion and said, "Look at my colostomy bag!"

Now that was a phrase I never thought I would hear, to be honest. And that was a sight I never...ever wanted to see.

I would like to say that is my only ministry horror story with seeing surgery scars. But unfortunately, it isn't that rare. And I so wish it was.

I have seen scars and stitches for everything from heart bi-pass surgery to even scars from a surgery for gastric bi-pass. I don't know why people want to show their preacher their scars from surgery. But if I may be so bold, I can honestly say the preacher doesn't want to see them.

If you happen to get sick and need surgery in the future and I come to visit you. Please, in the name of all that is decent and right, please don't show me your surgery scar!

No comments: