Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day 2009


Every year I get the privilege of participating in the Memorial Day and Veteran's Day service held on the south side of the Iowa State Capital Grounds between the Korean and the Vietnam Monuments. It is a simple service that can draw a pretty sizable crowd (if the weather cooperates). I usually perform the invocation and the benediction.

Before I offered my closing prayer, I shared a few remarks with the crowd. Here is what I shared:

How do you honor someone who risks their life to defend your freedom?
How do you remember the thousand upon thousands who gave their lives fighting for our independence?
How do you remember those whose blood was spilled in foreign lands...kids who had their whole lives in front of them?
And how do we pay tribute to the soldiers who defend us today, right now?


Maybe we start by just saying, "Thanks." Today we celebrate and honor those brave men and women for their service to this great country that we call America.

THANK YOU! Thank you for my way of life. Thank you for my ability to raise my family in this land. Thank you for the privilege I have of worshiping my Savior each and every week without threat or fear.

Thank you for showing me what the greatest love looks like. Jesus said that there is no greater love than for a man to lay down his life for his friend. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. We will never forget your sacrifice!

No comments: