Wednesday, September 12, 2007

THE DAY

At the time of me writing this, I have 11 days, 3 hours, 23 minutes and 42 seconds before we leave for Disney World. I am so excited I can barely wait. I am so ready to check out of here and not think about church stuff, sermons, strategies or structure the whole time I'm gone.

I'm not taking my laptop or my pocket pc because I am not going to check my e-mail while I am gone. I am going to be completely disconnected. And I can't wait.

But my wife keeps telling me, don't wish your life away. We have living to do before the vacation comes. She's right. I know she is. But man it is hard to do when you're excited about something.

On the other end of the spectrum, last night I visited with a woman whose husband I buried this past Friday. Her daughter called me on Monday and set up the appointment. She said her mom has been inconsolable and she wanted to know if I could come and visit with her mom.

So last night I sat there as she told me how grueling each and every moment is. How every TV show is horrible, every movie because those are all things that she used to do with him and now she can't share the experience with anyone.

And this poor widow who was hurting so much wanted very much for God to take her as well because it is so hard to face each day alone.

And I want a section of my life to go quicker because I want to go to Disney! What shame.

There is a period, future-oriented that I can long for. I am allowed to do it. It is THE DAY. The day that we get to go to heaven and be with the Lord. The Scriptures say, "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere." (Psalm 84:10)

I am not a universalist. I don't believe we're all going to heaven when we die, but I sincerely hope that those people, like the dear one I was with last night will one day know the Lord.

Because to grieve and not have hope is excruciating. I had no comfort to give. I had a few words to offer. A prayer and a hug. But nothing beyond that. She was in the midst of pure, unbridled grief. And that big black bag of sorrows is hard to bear.

I need to not wish my life away like my wife says...but I do long for a day when this is all over. When the people that I minister to won't have unbearable grief anymore. I long for THE DAY. I hope that day comes soon (maybe even before I pay off my house - that would be great!)

No comments: