Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Don't please...just preach!

You know, sometimes when you preach, you worry about what people are going to think. You worry if you will do a good job and really move people. You worry if they will get mad at you or not by the things that you say or the way that you say it. You worry.

It really is liberating to stop worrying about what people think though. Paul said in Galatians 1:10b:

If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. (NIV)

I can't slow down to worry anymore. I need to get this message that is in me out. I need to get it out of my heart like I have a splinter deep in my skin that I keep trying to dig out.

My heart beats for lost people. If they are going to choose to go to hell...then, as Spurgeon said, let them go having to jump over my body. Let them go with me still holding onto their ankles. Let them go but let me do anything and everything I possibly can to make sure I can stop their blood from being on my head.

And that kind of preaching isn't popular. That kind of preaching can get a guy fired. But that is a risk I'm willing to take. I would rather be unemployed but have helped one more know about Jesus Christ. I'd rather flip burgers knowing that I got to baptize someone else.

That's why I'm here. That's why God let's me breathe still.

No comments: