Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Church in decline

We have so many "Pottery Barn" churches (as I have heard them described) that in an effort to "evangelize" have given credence to the critic of the mega-church movement who would say that all mega-churches water down the truth in an effort to attract a crowd.

While I disagree with such broad strokes of a brush (HERE is one prime example of a mega church doing it right...even though I don't agree with all the theology, it is definitely not watered down!) But there are plenty of examples where the critics are given plenty of ammo to shoot at the mega church movement.

Personally, I was blown away by a local pastor's suggestion (via Twitter) that we the church shouldn't teach "No Sex Before Marriage." He points out in his blog post that if we teach such a hard line that we run the risk of "alienating people from the church for the rest of their lives."

I have looked, but to no avail, to find where Jesus decided to back off of a teaching topic for fear of "alienating" one of his hearers. In fact, after teaching some very hard truths, we see in John 6:66 that many of his followers turned and left him.

What you don't see is Jesus concerned about their leaving. Jesus doesn't run after them hoping to win them back. Maybe if he invited them over for a cookout on the deck, or maybe if he could change up his teaching style and wear the latest GQ fashions, maybe he could win them back. No. Jesus taught the truth. Some didn't like it and they left. But some stayed!

The church is in decline, not because of our inherently offensive message. And, you need to know that the truth is inherently offensive to those outside of the truth. The church is in decline because of pastors who won't teach God's truth. The church is in decline because we have left the truth in order to grow the church.

What is it that we want? A crowd? Or a committed core of fully devoted (and equipped) Christ followers? I choose the latter.

2 comments:

Justin Wise said...

Greetings. Thanks for your concern on this issue. I'm glad you found my blog helpful in determining your stance.

I'm afraid you have taken my words out of context. Painfully, in fact. The post you cited was written from the perspective of performing a marriage ceremony for a non-Christian couple. A self-professed Christian couple is held to the higher standard of the Bible. A non-Christian couple is not.

I think your definition of "truth" is a little wanton. It's also culturally based. That's nothing to say of who Jesus most often spoke the "hard truths" to: It wasn't the sinner, it was the self-proclaimed "saint."

I'm not suggesting we hold back from telling people to not have sex before they are married. In fact, I regularly preach on the topic and exhort people to do just that: Save it. The momentary pleasures of sex do not match the untold pain if things goes awry.

I am suggesting that I will gladly take any opportunity I can to proclaim the reality of Christ, even if it is a wedding ceremony of a non-Christian couple. Even if they are living together before marriage. Even if they are having sex before marriage. I think that we would agree that taking any opportunity we can to tell people about Jesus is a good thing, right?

I understand if you disagree with what I've said, but make sure your citations are quoted within the right context.

Thanks for the challenge.

Justin Wise

Mike Demastus said...

Hello. My stance on this issue was not determined by your blog. I thought that marriage was something that both the Christian and the heathen participate in. If marriage is a universal experience, then is not the standard of marriage not the same for all as well? If it is different for Christians compared to non-Christians then why should we even be fighting the battle for same-sex marriage in our state?

I do completely agree with you that Jesus usually offended the religious leaders of his day more so than those who were irreligious. But Jesus' message didn't change based on his listening audience.

I understand the importance of relevance in an effort to reach lost people but not at the expense of truth.

You claimed my definition of truth was a little wanton and culturally based. Can you share with me in my post where I defined truth? Commenting on John 6 does not a definition of truth make, my friend.

That would, indeed be a good discussion.